Saturday, April 3, 2010

DownStay L2: What's Wrong Here?


DownStay L2/ What's Wrong Here?




There's nothing wrong here. I am working on DISTANCE and DURATION with Web during one of our mentoring sessions. Webster is doing well in spite of the other dogs working in the room.

9 comments:

  1. I am listening to Lynn and not paying attention to Webster. My rate of reinforcement was way too slow. When he got up from his DownStay, instead of telling him 10X that "Yes. This is where I want you to be," I continued paying attention to Lynn and Webster got up, yet another time. It's amazing what one sees in these flips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed your divided attentions, but Webster never got up BEFORE the click that I could see. Since the click ends the behavior, I think he did fine. What was your criteria?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,

    What, if anything, do you think you would have done differently if Webster had been off leash? Something interesting to think about......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am interested to know the criteria you were working on before commenting. Were you working on duration?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. The click ends the behavior. I wanted duration, so when he got up, I should have given more rapid C/T to tell him that, "yes, I want you on a DownStay." My rate of reinforcement was too slow. Now, I know I'm a novice trainer; am I correct in my self-observation?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We use Chutes and Ladders to build Duration. This was a situation for "one" C/T, "one, two" C/T, "one two three" C/T, etc. We'll do some more work on this in class on Thursday. And clear up the confusion between rate of reinforcement and Chutes and Ladders. This is a valuable conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I understand where your confusion lies - it has to do with Go to Mat. An assumption easily made, Karen, and easily cleared up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophocles said:
    Look and you will find it - what is unsought will go undetected.

    What is RIGHT with this?
    3 sec Down/Stay, C/T
    4 sec D/S, C/T
    Webster gets up, Down cued, Webster Downs
    3 sec D/S, C/T
    Webster gets up, Down cued, Webster Downs C/T
    3 sec D/S, C/T
    4 second D/S with squeeky distraction C/T
    Webster gets up.

    Could improvements be made? ALWAYS!

    Was this good training? YES!
    FOCUS on the POSITIVE we get more positive!
    It is fine to look for areas to improve on training is never done!

    However, FIRST look closer for areas of strength.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Sheila and Sophocles, Karen and Webster, for that oh so important lesson.

    ReplyDelete