Friday, August 6, 2010

MENTORING SESSION: Nad and Jan


It was good to see how well both dogs focused with the distractions while testing L1 & L2. Nad needs to work on his Watch a little more to firm it up, Distance(Go Around) needs lots of work, Target (Paws Up) for 10 secs-he was close on that, Stand/stay needs to make solid, walking over him from the front, and on Right Side LLW.

I notice Nad is doing much better with his LLW on the right side. I hadn't worked Nad on the left side in a while, as was evident by his wanting to switch to the left. Cathy was brilliant in suggesting we walk on the same side of the bridge so we are using both left and right sides. While we were walking there, Cathy and Rooster got ahead of us (as we were doing more backing up at that time :) and Nad would want to forge ahead (just a little) to get closer to Rooster. It was good to work on that and he finally got it. Then when we both got to the far end of the bridge, he woofed lightly at a dog an that started Rooster and then Nad got louder. What I noticed was it never went over threshold and we could 'collect' both dogs. Coming back over the bridge Nad and I were ahead of Cathy and Rooster. Rooster had no problem keep a LL with us ahead. That is when Nad was on my right and it took most of the bridge to get him understanding that's where I wanted him. Then when we left the bridge (he was by the wall side) I had to start explaining it all over again.

I did have to close the window a couple times as he was barking while we were working with Lynn and Lily (I think it was more that he could see us than other dogs walking by at that time).

Nad did great going to the dog park. I was able to just go back with him (no peanut butter used) and he sat like a gentleman by the gate.

Landry was a blast! He gave us a perfect example of the trainer working harder that the trainee!! however, it did make me smile to see that he wasn't always the perfect L1/L2 16 week old puppy we see on the videos!!

While we were working at the NAS doing Paws Up on some open concrete containers (for lack of a better word), Rooster did a "4-paws up" on top of the ledge, over to the ledge on the other side and off into the trees - he was amazingly agile for a dog of his size!! THEN he was so trusting and confident that he did a real Paws Up when asked again! Cathy found a wooden pallet so we all walked the dogs on that surface. There were lots of good 'natural' surfaces/objects to use.

After working Nad with position with a grocery cart, he was very comfortable being in the cart. He even curled up a couple times and laid down. Now all we have to do is teach Rooster to walk while his paws are on the cart handle!





1 comment:

  1. Under Lynn's careful mentoring it has been amazing to see how far all the dogs have come. In a very short time we have progressed from L1 in secluded corners of near empty parking lots to testing L2 behaviors cold on a busy street outside the dog park with our dogs totally In the Game. This gave a clear picture of what still needed to be addressed at home. Rooster and I will focus on stand/stay, watch, and target all for duration.

    Rooster is comfortable with LL on the left and on the right. The bridge was not a problem nor passing people and children. Dogs remain a challenge but that too is improving.

    Rooster has still not gone in the dog park but not because I don't think he could do it. He could. He is starting to have play dates with dogs and does fine. I am waiting to hopefully let him play at MAH in a controlled environment first before just turning him loose with a large group.

    The time on Coronado has been equally good for all. Landry is a pistol. Our lunches with the dogs at the food court at the NAS just keep the ZEN moving forward. Being able to use whatever comes along as a training opportunity makes training "real life" and each dog has stepped up and delivered. Thursday as we had lunch I looked down and there were Lily and Rooster side by side on a relaxed down under the table....wow. After lunch when Lynn had to leave for a moment, Rooster on the right and Lily on the left were happy to stay on a LL with me while I pushed a shopping cart through the parking lot. That is not only huge for Rooster but double huge for Lily. When we put Nad in the cart and continued on, Lily, Rooster, and Nad remained in he game.

    The biggest realization for me has been the sudden awareness that all the dogs are now team players. They are team players with their trainer as well as when they work with another. How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete