Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Training is Not Always A Plan

What an interesting Coaching Day in Oceanside today.

I observed Beth, Mark, and Beth's sister Margaret working together on sharp military turns with Charlie. Cathy and Jan were working each other's dogs from their well planned training log. Patti was working on L1 behaviors with Tommy and having quite a successful outcome. Webster and I had no agenda, other than to step back into training after several weeks off. He had not lost any of his behaviors, but certainly had not advanced. Our training didn't really begin until later in the afternoon, and completely unexpected. Have any of you read The Prayer Of Jabaez? I believe.....

Webster and I were meeting Kurtis Foster and his family at a Starbuck's in Oceanside. Web and I showed up, me with a full bladder and we walked into Starbuck's so that I could use the facilities. I was told I could not have my dog inside. I told them he was a service dog in training, (even though he had no vest on), and I could not leave him in the hot car while I used the ladies room. Well, I had no vest and no papers, but......I had an absolutely awesome dog. Webster was at my side, looking at me and looking around him, ready for anything, and we politely walked back outside, hoping Kurtis would show up....Soon! A man inside heard the conversation and walked out to 'pet my dog, with permission.' He offered to handle my dog while I went inside. What a perfect gentleman; oh, and the man was a gentleman also. Web did not disappoint Freedom Dogs for one moment and he made me so very proud of him.

As we waited outside in the shade for Kurtis, we encountered two women, interested in petting my "beautiful dog." Then, three paramedics enter the scene, excited to pet my "well behaved dog." I suddenly realized I had an entire table of new acquaintances sitting at my table, Webster quietly lying under the table. I won't elaborate on all of the conversation, but let's just say it was quite stimulating,( about dogs). Enter.....another couple with a tiny white fru-fru dog, not on a leash. Webster was, yet again, a gentleman.... no reaction, but was saying hello ON A LOOSE LEASH!
Enter, Kurtis, Rachel, Ethan, and Asher. How wonderful to see my friend, Kurtis. Now, our table has grown to 12! Kurtis took Web, as he has missed our Freedom Dogs a lot. He hadn't missed a beat... he and Webster looked as though they had spent months together.

I could never have planed this afternoon as it was; it proved to be a real training session for both Web and me. Web used his social skills very well; I trusted my dog and was elated as I watched him truly behave as a Freedom Dog. I am so proud of Webster.

1 comment:

  1. "I was elated".......as well you should have been! Thanks for sharing this with us, Karen. Even better than a Flip! Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete