At last Thursday's Mentoring session, Sandi raised the question, "Why don't we let the dog hold the object?"
We discussed the reasons briefly, and then this morning I responded with the following e-mail:
Hi Sandi,
I just finished a short training session w/Lily and your Retrieve question kept nagging at the back of my mind: "Why not let her hold it?"
I'm sure that you have already explored RETRIEVE: L2 thoroughly and are having Puzzle touching all sorts of things.
But let me suggest that you read ahead through RETRIEVE: L3, noting especially Before Moving On, where Sue specifically
tells us to NOT let the dog hold the item alone YET!!!! Not yet!!!! At the very END of Level 3!!!!
Now I'm a Letter of the Law kind of gal, and if Sue goes out of her way to make a point of saying DON'T.....even if I can't figure out why......I don't.
Whatever.
Not until Level 4 RETRIEVE do we begin to give the dog responsibility for holding the item in her mouth.
So, relax and enjoy Puzzle touching objects. And, as Sue says, "Trust the force".
Lynn
I just finished a short training session w/Lily and your Retrieve question kept nagging at the back of my mind: "Why not let her hold it?"
I'm sure that you have already explored RETRIEVE: L2 thoroughly and are having Puzzle touching all sorts of things.
But let me suggest that you read ahead through RETRIEVE: L3, noting especially Before Moving On, where Sue specifically
tells us to NOT let the dog hold the item alone YET!!!! Not yet!!!! At the very END of Level 3!!!!
Now I'm a Letter of the Law kind of gal, and if Sue goes out of her way to make a point of saying DON'T.....even if I can't figure out why......I don't.
Whatever.
Not until Level 4 RETRIEVE do we begin to give the dog responsibility for holding the item in her mouth.
So, relax and enjoy Puzzle touching objects. And, as Sue says, "Trust the force".
Lynn
Level 2 is the time to make all things "touchable". A huge lesson in and of itself.
Once again, "Trust the Force". Trust the progression of the Levels and have confidence that by going Step by little Step you are in truth building a strong foundation for another lovely, dependable behavior.
No comments:
Post a Comment